Who should apply?
The program is open to young African leaders who meet the following criteria:
- Age (18-35)
- English language proficiency
- Portuguese for our Portuguese language program
- A commitment to positively impact Africa, their countries and communities.
- Commitment to serve the development agenda of the African continent.
- Demonstrated leadership capabilities and interest in Public Management, Entrepreneurship Development and Civic Leadership
- Young leaders from the following countries are eligible to participate in the programme: Angola, Botswana, Comoros, Lesotho, Malawi, Madagascar, Mauritius, Mozambique, Namibia, Seychelles, South Africa, Kingdom of Eswatini, Zambia and Zimbabwe.
The programme encourages applications from:
- Rural based and economically disadvantaged young leaders
- Young leaders with disabilities
- People who are HIV positive or who are living with AIDS
- Individuals that represent and advocate for the rights of LGBTQIA+ communities across the region
- Other minority groups
“I was very fortunate to be part of the YALI Cohort 4- Public Management Leadership Track a few years ago. This has been a milestone leadership program for me because it empowered me as a leader on a personal level but also as a professional in my career and as a volunteer in my community.”
Anael Bodwell – Seychelles
Public Management and Governance – Cohort 4
“I continue to apply the skills and knowledge l gained through YALI to make greater impact in the lives of the children we work with”.
Mary Mantanyani – Zambia
YALI RLC SA- Civic Leadership – Online Cohort 11
“When l completed the YALI training, I was at the time seconded to the Planning Committee of a cooperative farming scheme. This gave me an opportunity to implement profound changes to the cooperative’s business model to improve business profit margins. I am grateful to YALI for affording me this opportunity. Through it, I was able to identify gaps and respond to opportunities in the market."
Mbuso Kingdom Mdluli – eSwatini
Business & Entrepreneurship Development – Online Cohort 4
“Being part of YALI has helped me in awakening the sleeping giant in me. With the support I am getting from the YALI Network, I am now more confident that I can handle any challenge life throws at me and still emerge victorious.”
Nicolau Miguel – Angola
Business and Entrepreneurship Development – Cohort 9
“The success of my Guardian for a Year initiative has everything to do with the skills and knowledge l gained through YALI. We were taught how to initiate and build partnerships with actors in private and public sectors."
Priscah Daka – Zambia
Civic Leadership – Cohort 11